Director of Communications
MADD - Irving
Founded by a mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk driver, Mothers
Against Drunk Driving(R) (MADD) is the nation's largest nonprofit working to
protect families from drunk driving and underage drinking. With the help of
those who want a safer future, MADD's Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving(R)
will end this danger on America's roads. PowerTalk 21(R) is the national day
for parents to talk with their kids about alcohol, using the proven
strategies of Power of Parents(tm) to reduce the risk of underage drinking.
And as one of the largest victim services organizations in the U.S., MADD
also supports drunk and drugged driving victims and survivors at no charge,
serving one person every eight minutes through local MADD victim advocates
and at 1-877-MADD-HELP. Learn more at www.madd.org or by calling
The MADD National office located in Irving, TX 75062 is currently seeking
candidates for the full-time position Director of Communications 099-14.
The Director of Communications leads the strategic external, executive and
internal communications for the National Organization and its local
affiliates to garner positive brand awareness that increases volunteers and
supporters. This highly-visible position is charged with proactively
leading national public relations campaigns, securing national media
stories and promoting the lead brand ambassador of the organization, the
MADD National President.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
1. Create, implement and manage an integrated communications strategy,
supporting MADD's mission and organizational strategic plan.
2. Lead national public relations campaigns to garner public support,
including event planning, media relations, and community engagement.
Support local public relations campaigns through content creation, coaching
3. Proactively pitch national strategic news stories that communicate
MADD's messages in key media and manage reactive media requests.
4. Research, write and edit press releases, blogs, statements, annual
reports and other print and digital materials in support of MADD's mission.
5. Promote and manage the National President's activities including
coaching, speechwriting, event management, media relations, messaging and
speaking opportunities. Also support executive communications needs for the
CEO and National Board of Directors.
6. Lead internal communications for the National Office staff, Field staff
and volunteers including the organization's intranet and email
7. Serve as Editor-in-Chief of MADDvocate, a twice-yearly digital magazine
dedicated to MADD's victim services.
8. Support issue management and crisis communications as needed.
9. Oversee media training and speakers bureau training for staff, field and
key leadership, as well as lead and support other trainings as needed.
10. Measure and evaluate MADD's media coverage results against the overall
marketing and communications plan.
Director of Communications
11. Source, recruit, hire, supervise, and develop staff. When appropriate,
supervise the media relations and public relations activities of staff and
external consultants or agencies.
12. Other duties as assigned.
1. Seven plus years of progressively responsible communications and
management experience. Experience in non-profit/cause-related
communications are a plus.
2. Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, communications or
related field required.
3. Excellent oral, written and presentation skills among all levels of
4. Expert knowledge of traditional and digital media relations, brand
promotion, strategic planning, event planning, public relations, executive
communications, speech writing and internal communications.
5. Ability to demonstrate a proven track record of developing and
maintaining strong national media relationships.
6. Excellent computer proficiency, particularly in Microsoft Office Suite,
social media and Internet applications.
7. Ability to develop and maintain budgets.
8. Ability to thrive in a high-volume, fast-paced environment, managing
multiple projects and deadlines. Independent contributor with the ability
to work collaboratively on cross-functional teams or with little
9. Ability to travel and work non-traditional hours, when necessary.
Director of Communications 099-14
Forward resume to the following email address: