8058 Cyber Security Analyst NEEDED (PG&E, 3401 Crow Canyon Rd., San Ramon, CA 94583)
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 23,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to 16 million people in Northern and Central California. Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce.
The Information Security function is led by PG&E’s Vice President - Chief Information Security Officer and is responsible for cybersecurity and risk management across the organization.
The Security Intelligence and Operations Center (SIOC) is responsible for ensuring that PG&E proactively identifies and assesses threats to its network and data, monitors its network for malicious activity, investigates intrusions and other relevant events, and has a sophisticated and detailed understanding of the evolving threat landscape.
This is a challenging and fast passed position in PG&E’s Security Intelligence and Operations Center (SIOC) which is responsible for detecting, analyzing and responding to any suspicious cyber security activity across PG&E's business and operational networks.
The SOC is a critical team within PG&E’s broader Information Security team which is led by PG&E’s Vice President - Chief Information Security Officer.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
Training, Licenses or Certifications Required:
• Formal IT Security/Network Certification such as CompTIA Security +, Cisco CCNA, SANS GIAC Certified Intrusion Analyst (GCIA) or ability to obtain via self-study within one year of hire date
Prior Experience Required:
• 4 years of Information Technology experience, with at least 2 years of experience in information security working within security operations, security intelligence or equivalent functions
• Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT), Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT), Computer Security Incident Response Center (CSIRC) or a Security Operations Center (SOC) experience
• Utility Industry experience Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities/
Technical Competencies Required:
• Working knowledge of log, network, and system forensic investigation techniques
• Working knowledge of diverse operating systems, networking protocols, and systems administration
• Working knowledge of commercial forensic tools
• Working knowledge of common indicators of compromise and of methods for detecting these incidents
• Substantial knowledge of IT core infrastructure and cyber security components/devices
• Working knowledge of TCP/IP Networking and knowledge of the OSI model
• Working knowledge of OS management and Network Devices
• Working knowledge of Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems
• Working knowledge of Antivirus Systems
• Experience monitoring threats via a SIEM console
• Experience performing analysis of log files from a variety of sources including include individual host logs, network traffic logs, firewall logs, or intrusion prevention logs
• Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills - ability to de-construct problems
• Strong customer service skills and decision-making skills
• Experience with packet analysis (Wireshark) and Malware analysis preferred
• Working knowledge of PG&E infrastructure preferred
• IBM QRadar and Dell SecureWorks experience preferred
• Candidate must have familiarity with regulatory requirements, such as NERC/CIP, NIST SP 800, SOX, etc
• Experience with scripting in Perl/Python/Ruby
• Experience with both desktop-based and server-based forensics
• Reverse engineering skills
• Strong sense of professionalism and ethics.
• Acts with integrity and communicates honestly and openly
• Ability to build rapport and cooperation among teams and internal stakeholders
• Respects others and demonstrates fair treatment to all
• Methodical and detail oriented
• Self motivated
• Actively seeks to enhance the group through the sharing of knowledge
Major Areas of Responsibility/Tasks
• Perform hunting for malicious activity across the network and digital assets
• Respond to computer security incidents and conduct threat analysis as directed
• Identify and act on malicious or anomalous activity
• Conducts analysis using a variety of tools and data sets to identify indicators of malicious activity on the network
• Perform initial investigation and triage for potential security incidents
• Provide accurate and priority driven analysis on cyber activity/threats
• Perform payload analysis of packets
• Detonate malware to assist with threat research
• Provides input to assist with implementation of counter-measures or mitigating controls
• Ensures all pertinent information is obtained to allow for the identification, containment, eradication, and recovery actions to occur in a time sensitive environment
• Collaborates with technical and threat intelligence analysts to provide indications and warnings, and contributes to predictive analysis of malicious activity
• Resolve or coordinate the resolution of cyber security events
• Monitor incoming event queues for potential security incidents
• Create, manage, and dispatch incident tickets
• Monitor external event sources for security intelligence and actionable incidents
• Maintain incident logs with relevant activity
• Document investigation results, ensuring relevant details are passed to senior analysts and stakeholders
• Participate in root cause analysis or lessons learned sessions
• Write technical articles for knowledge sharing
• Establish and maintain excellent working relationships/partnerships with the cyber security and infrastructure support teams throughout the Information Technology organization, as well as business units
If interested, PG&E has the following requirements:
- Your UPDATED resume in word format.
- The completed attached “Candidate Consent” document.
- Your Date of birth. (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Your Availability, Immediate, two weeks etc...
- Two professional, verifiable references, email address and phone number.
- Your Salary requirements
- A unique to you five digit (e.g. 01234) identifier or the last 5 of your SSN. (We cannot submit you without it.)