The Senior Security Engineer role is tasked with supporting the implementation and execution of the client’s Information Security program, with an emphasis on Information Security Engineering & Operational activities. The role will report to the Security Operations team under the Manager of Security Operations and is part of the overall client’s team accountable for Information Security, Information Risk Management, and Compliance activities.
The ideal candidate will have exposure to both small and large organizations and experience in both public and private enterprises. Experience with standards compliance-driven environments (ISO27000, NIST, SOC1 & 2, etc) and regulatory (PCI-DSS) a plus.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
(1) Information Security Engineering & Architecture (50%)
- Define a cohesive information security tools architecture that emphasizes integration, proper implementation and configuration of tools, and balance in-sourcing and outsourcing options.
- Evaluate information security requirements for planned initiatives and/or changes in the client technology environment as part of the SDLC and Change Management processes.
- Define configuration standards, select, implement and configure information security tools, both in-sourced and outsourced, inclusive of event management and monitoring.
- Provide information security consulting services to internal users, both within and outside of the IT and Information Security department.
(2) Information Security Operations (50%)
- Oversee the day to day administration and management of information security tools, both in-sourced and outsourced, as well as third-party/managed security service providers;
- Oversee threat and vulnerability management processes, inclusive of vulnerability scanning, remediation efforts, notifications, etc.;
- Oversee and manage penetration testing processes, inclusive of vendor management, report interpretations, remediation efforts, notifications, etc.;
- Review system events and incidents on a daily basis
- Lead investigation of potential incidents
- Lead incident response processes as the incident coordinator
- Serve as a point of contact for information security operational matters in an on-call team rotation covering 24x7x365;
- Provide 3rd level support for information security tools and operational processes
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 6 years equivalent work experience
- 8 years’ experience in Information Security/Risk Management, ideally in a mix of consulting and industry roles at a publicly traded company.
- Strong technical knowledge of technology platforms, inclusive of systems, network devices, and security solutions. Hands-on experience with Windows OS, Linux, MacOSX, Palo Alto Firewalls (including Panorama), Cisco iOS/NX-OS/ASA-OS, relational databases, and other core enterprise technologies.
- Information Security expertise in application and infrastructure security architecture, design, and engineering using technologies, solutions, or frameworks inclusive of OWASP, SAML, firewalls, endpoint security, SSO, IDM, data encryption & enterprise key management, PKI, IDS/IPS, malware management, web content management, SIEM, etc.
- Hands-on experience developing hardening standards for on-premise and cloud-based systems inclusive of networks, servers, and common operating systems using widely known standards such as DISA, CIS, etc.
- Excellent understanding of software development lifecycle models, as well as the approach and options for implementing a Secure Development Lifecycle (SDL).
- Intermediate understanding of industry common information technology control frameworks, particularly ISO 27001/2, SOC1 and 2 (Type I and II), PCI-DSS, and Cloud Security Alliance.
- Intermediate fluency with one or more Windows scripting languages (e.g. Powershell, VB, WMI, ADSI).
- Excellent understanding/working knowledge of private and public cloud IaaS solutions.
- Network design and management; hands-on knowledge of
- OSI Model & TCP/IP stack
- Network protocols
- Cisco IOS
- PC literacy required: MS Office skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities.
- Excellent documentation skills.
Licenses or Certifications:
One or more of the following preferred:
- GIAC Information Security Professional